Tuesday, November 29, 2011

on living in the box

A few years ago I was studying piano with a real for sure college
professor.

Now although occasionally he would comment - in a positive way -
about my playing - for the most part we both knew that I wasn't
really going anywhere with it.

One day he said to me - Sue, you can invite these great composers into
your living room any time you wish.  You just have to know how to
duplicate the sounds. 

I knew what he was saying to me - that you don't have to be a concert
pianist but rather just to be able to have the ablility to make it work - and
then you can  -as he said - invite these Great Composers into your living
room.

Because I am let us say - Tenacious - I didn't give up on being a real pianist
until a few days ago.
 

But now I 'get it.'


Having studied Piano for most of my life I now am ready to Invite the Masters
into My Living Room - and I'm talking about Bach, Beethoven and Mozart -
and well - even Chopin.  : )
~~~

That part of living in the box I'm ok with.


Today I realized that I could invite Others into my Living Room besides
*Bach, Beethoven and the Boys.

For instance earlier today Bob Dylan stopped by and sang a few Christmas
songs.  Later Harry Connick, jr. was here with his knock-out style - also
Christmas Music.  Ya gotta love Harry Connick, jr.


And I heard that Elvis has been sighted around town.  If he comes to My House
I'm going to request Blue Christmas.


Elvis coming.


can you imagaine that?


But you know - there are just some things that have to be better outside the box.



:^)




*credit for 'Bach, Beethoven and the Boys must go to David W. Barber
because that is the name of his really cool  book which I think I'm
going to read again - maybe tonight

2 comments:

cube said...

I wish I could listen to one of your performances. I have piano hands (long fingers), but never took advantage of it. Good for you that you did.

sue hanes said...

Cube - Maybe some time you'l have the chance. :)


The thing with the short fingers can be overcome - not by stretching them but rather by modifying the music.


I mean - who's going to know and what are they going to do about it anyway! :)