Saturday, December 17, 2011

renascence con.

i saw and heard and knew at last
the How and Why of all things past
and present and forevermore
the Universe cleft to the core
Lay open to my probing sense
that sick'ning i would fain pluck thence
at the great wound and could not pluck
my lips away till i had drawn
all venom out - ah fearful pawn!
for my omnicscience of soul
all sin was of my sinning all
atoning mine and mine the gall
of all regret Mine was the weight
of every brooded wrong the hate
that stood behind each envioius thrust
mine every greed mine every lust
and all the while for every grief
each suffering i craved relief
with individual desire  -
craved all in vain!  and felt fierce fire
about a thousnad people crawl
perished with each - then mourned for all!
a man was starving in Capri
he moved his eyes and looked at me
i felt his gaze i heard his moan
and knew his hunger as my own
i saw at sea a great fog bank
between two ships that struck and sank
a thousand screams the heavens smote
and every scream tore through my throat
no hurt i did not fell no death
that was not mine mine each last breath
that crying met an answering cry
from the compassion that was i
all suffering mine and mine its rod
mine ptiy like the pity of God
ah awful weight!  Infinity
pressed down upon the finite Me!
my anguished spirit like a bird
beating against my lips i heard
yet lay the weight so close about
there was no room for it without
and so beneath the weight lay i
and suffered death but could not die.



Ok.

That is it for tonight - and I'm not even half way through it.

(darn - i know i saw a typo in there but i can't find it now - sorry)


I'll finish it before Wednesday - I promise.


but I don't want to end the evening on this note - so
I'm posting a chreeful Christmas song in my following post.

No comments: