Saturday, January 21, 2012

i heart bela bartok

First a personal message to Mike:

Since you are so crazy about music like
Bach's Sciliano and like the Flute - I'm
thinkin' that you are probably also fond
of Claude Debussy's Clair de Lune - which
frankly makes me want to p*ke. I have found
that Clair de Lune is one of those Pieces
that you either do or don't like - and often
there is no in between.

But I will say that I know that it is Extremely
Well Written and Absolutely Beautiful and since
I usually end up eating my Words I will most
likely be Playing it again - Sometime. : ]

Now I have had some exposure to other works
of Debussy - I think it's the Preludes and
I actually studied a couple of them not all
that long ago.

Unfortunately when I did a sweep of my music
- in order to define myself - I must have given
them away. I may want to buy them again but
here I'm going to talk about Bartok.
~~~

I believe that my attraction to Bartok's Piano
Music comes from my newly-found Love Affair with
The Abstract. Now Bartok certainly is not a full-on
Quirky Twentieth Composer to the extent that Others
are - but here is what I think:


Bartok - for me at least - is a Link or a Bridge
from the Masters such as Beethoven and Chopin - and
even Schumann and Schubert - to the Twentieth Century
Composers.


Looking through a Piano Book of mine today called
THE TWENTIETH CENTURY - A Repertory Of Piano Works
By Major Composers of Our Time - Selected and Edited
by Denes Agay - I saw names of Composers that I have
liked in the Past such as:

~Dmitri Kabalevsky

~Aram Khatchaturian

~Zoltan Kodaly

~Darius Milhaud

~Serge Prokofieff

~Maurice Ravel

~Dmitri Shostakovich

~Alexander Scriabin

and

~Igor Stravinsky
~~~

I need to be Honest here and say that I originally
studied some of the works of a few of these Composers
back in College - and I would like to talk about a couple
of them in particular - mainly Ravel and Scriabin -and I will
do so tomorrow.

But before I do - I am first going to say more about
Bela Bartok - in the Morning.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never got into Claire de Lune. It's the type of song where I could hear it and then five seconds later not be able to repeat the melody--it just doesn't stick. Maybe it's too complicated for me and my limited grasp of music doesn't allow me to appreciate it--like a third grade math student trying to learn calculus. I'm not saying it's the music's fault, I just don't get much out of it.

I don't know anything by Bartok.

bftm

sue hanes said...

Mike - I will talk about Bartok tomorrow.

Will "take no prisoners" Hart said...

Ma Vlast by Smetana goes really good with brewskis, Sue. Please, give it a shot sometime.

sue hanes said...

Will - VERY GOOD.

Here is why I say that:

Although there is a wealth of information on Bedrich Smetana
(born on March 2nd in Bohemia and died on May 12th in 1884)in my
Harvard Biographical Dictionary of Music - it was Wikipedia that clued me in to what Ma Vlast really is:

a set of six symphonic poems that represent the concept of Nationalism

but that is not what this comment is all about..

The key to YOUR comment - Will - is BEER.

Why do I say that - Will?

Because in MY book (THBDOM) it states right off that:

Smetana's eldest son was the manager of the town brewery

Leading me to believe that you may actually like to listen to Ma Vlast but most likely you really just use it as an excuse to hoist a few.


but I don't mean to take a shot at you






Will