Wednesday, October 19, 2011

to boldly go where no man has gone before

These most wonderful daring words - of course - are about Star Trek but this post is not.

I simply chose them as the title because I like them.

~~~

As with most hard books I have not actually read Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness word for word
but simply have scanned it for the parts I really like.


In the case of Heart of Darkness I bought the book when I became aware of its
connection to the movie Apocalypse Now - a movie that I love but rarely watch
because it gets so dark in the end.  But it is a beautiful darkness and is made even
more beautiful by Martin Sheen and even more so by the genius of Marlon Brando.

Because I am in the middle of the move of my life I confess to not having turned to
the book to write this post - although I have it here beside me and it has a great picture
on the front -but rather to google without whom I am nothing.

According to Wikipedia Heart of Darkness is a heavily symbolic story within a story -
and the term that most catches my attention is 'unfathomable darkness'  - perfect for a
wannabe abstract painter who heavily indentifies with the despondency - if not the
unobtainable talent - of Jackson Pollock.


Here are some phrases - not complete quotes - from Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness that I
lifted from google:

~buried in a vast grave of unspeakable secrets

~the unseen presence of victorious corruption, the darkness of an unpenetrable night

~that seemed to draw him to its pitiless breast by the awakening of forgotten brutal instincts

~the horror!  the horror!

~the offing was barred by a black bank of clouds, and the tranquil waterway leading to the
uttermost ends of the earth flowed somber under an overcast sky - seemed to lead into the
heart of an immense darkness

~~~

Don't have time to read the book?

Rent the movie - directed brilliantly by Francis Ford Coppola.

5 comments:

The Absolute Marxist said...

The beginning overture in Sweeney Todd also alludes to Heart of Darkness, I'm told that if you're not a chipmunk, you can tell. ;)

sue hanes said...

Absolute - Yes! Now we're getting somewhere.

I adore Sweeney Todd - isn't that duet between JD and Alan Rickman just the best. When they sing pretty woman.

Even the over the top bloody ending is so poetic and beautiful.

~~~

But AM, I clicked on Chipmunk and got the beginning of ST - please tell me what the chipmunk thing means.

sue hanes said...

I mean 'Pretty Women' - that one letter makes a difference.

The Absolute Marxist said...

The YouTube intro I had linked to had sped up the song part so that Johnny Depp sounded like Alvin from the old Alvin and the Chipmunks days... and I meant nothing more than that.

sue hanes said...

Absolute - thanks for clearing that up.