Tuesday, October 4, 2011

fran - with love admiration and respect

Crossing the Bar  by Alfred Lord Tennyson


Sunset and evening star,
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea.

But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
Turns again home.

Twlight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark;

For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have crost the bar.

5 comments:

The Absolute Marxist said...

I love Tennyson... few moderns have understood meter and rythm as he has. The Battle @ Brunanburh is another masterpiece.

A fitting tribute to a departed loved one.

cube said...

After reading your last post, I see the point of this one dedicated to Fran.

Wishing you and your nieces peace in a turbulent time.

sue said...

Abso - When I wrote that - you were in the back of my mind.

So thanks for your stamp of approval.

I posted that in the lobby of the hotel holding back tears - not very successfully.

sue said...

Cube - Thank you so much - you know what I'm experiencing.

Fran was one of 'the good ones.'

It is a deep personal loss.

sue said...

Ticker - I have always wanted this to be recited at my funeral(followed by the recording of Ray
Charles' America the Beautiful.)

I asked my neice to recite Crossing the Bar when my dad died three and a half years ago.

So it is very special to me.

Thanks, Ticker