Friday, October 21, 2011

she was holding her father's hand

Earlier this year I was walking down an aisle at Walmart - focusing on buying a
newly released movie.

My eyes fell upon a man and his daughter - standing there looking at something
they were going to buy.

And the little girl was holding her father's hand.

~~~

As I hurried on I suddenly realized that I had witnessed something that is burned
in my mind and heart forever.

Yes, the little girl was holding her father's hand - but his hand was not flesh and blood -
but a shiny metal hook.

But to the little girl - she was holding her father's hand.

~~~

Now aside from that most cherished gift - as I see it - that I was given to witness such
a beautiful and touching - yet poignant occurrence - this is why I'm sharing this story:


If  - as President Barack Obama announced today - the war in Iraq is in fact at an
end - and if in fact the troops will be home by the end of this year - then that could mean
that some other little girl will be able to hold her father's flesh and blood hand instead of
a shiny metal hook.

~~~

I need to add that of course I have no way of knowing - and I will never know - if that
man lost his hand as a result of the war in Iraq.

But if there is even a small chance that he did - then I am overjoyed that our troops will
be coming home soon - all of them.

And it will always be my fervent wish - and prayer - that the day will come soon that they
can all come home.

4 comments:

Thersites said...

You'll be surprised to learn that I'm glad it's over, too.

I like winning wars, not fighting them because that's what I said I'd do in a presidential campaign.

This war was over for Obama the day they killed Osama bin Laden. It was over for George W. Bush the day he accepted Don Rumsfeld's resignation.

sue hanes said...

Thersites - I have strong opinioins on wars - mostly including WW2 and those follwing.


And it's not always pretty.

Thersites said...

I'm sure you do. And like William Tecumseh Sherman, I have some rather strong opinions, too.

sue hanes said...

Ther - Excellent role model - that Uncle Billy.