Monday, October 10, 2011

on severing my ties with the democratic party

As soon as I can - and when I figure out how to do it - I am going to change my voter registration
card so that I am no longer a registered Democrat.

Why am I doing this?

~~~

For some time now I have not liked being associated with the Democratic Party label.  But this is
what made up my mind definitively.

~~~

I would like to preface this by saying that I still consider myself a Liberal.  But the politlcal party
thing is getting way over the top for me.  I voted for Barack Obama and I still hold the belief that he
and his family - on a personal level - are good people.  But I will not vote for him next November - there is simply no reason he should continue in office the way things are.  He needs to get out and
live his life with his family before his girls grow up.  In other words, I am not deserting him, but
rather I am supporting a better life for him.  I am not here to argue about what kind of president
he has been.  That is NOT my intent.  Again - I will not vote for President Obama to be reelected.

~~~

Back to the reasons for severing my ties with the Democratic Party:

When President Obama gave a short speech about the debt ceiling a few months ago, I sent him a letter of support, fully expecting  - when the WH got around to it - to receive the usual reply of thanks and a nice family picture.

Last night I was dismayed - and then very upset - to find that my letter had been hijacked by the
Democratic Reelection Committe.  And - it was only an attempt to get me to give money to their cause.

My letter to Barack Obama was just that -  for him to know that I liked him and was encouraging him stay the course and do the very best he could for his country.

In normal times I know I would have received a picture and form letter with a stamped signature, but these are not normal times.

So...as soon as I can arrange it, I will no longer be a Democrat.  Fortunately, there is still time for
me to make a rational and hopefully intelligent and well thought out decision as to where I will place my vote - a right which I hold up very high in importance.

15 comments:

tha malcontent said...

"I would like to preface this by saying that I still consider myself a Liberal"


We won't hold that against you.............yet.

sue hanes said...

Malco - I am sincerely happy to have you comment on my blog.

This is a huge thing for me considering that you did not allow me to comment on yours.

And that we are not exactly on the same side of the fence.

However, my decision to sever my ties with the Dems has to be to my credit.

As for being Liberal - I intend to show that I am one of the good ones.

And in doing that I believe that I will prove that there are others out there too - good Liberals.

Speedy G said...

I consider myself a classical liberal...

The RNC is just as money-hungry. My wife's a registered Republican, and she gets all kinds of crazy fundraising letters and calls. If they've invented a fundraising gimmick, they've used it (especially robocalls). As for myself, it's nice being an Independent (no pressure), but there's no longer any chance to vote in the primaries here in MD. So there are advantages AND disadvantages to switching party affiliation.

sue hanes said...

Speedy - I've been thinking that tomorrow I will call the county clerk and register as an independent.

I've always liked to think of myself that way anyway.

I've had it with the Dems.

JoeBama "Truth 101" Kelly said...

Don;t get me started on the democrats as a party. The party is what turned me into the cynical jerk I am. It, like the republican party, are just tools for unscroupulus swine to use to gain election and power. Once there, the ideals they showered their supporters with in speeches are thrown out in favor of corporate whoring.

sue hanes said...

Truth - You can call yourself a cynical jerk on your own blog - but not on mine.

You know how much I admire and respect you and Dudley, and now I've fallen in love with Sofia.

I think you summed up the political party scene very well.


thank for stopping by, truth

Frankly it's an honor to have your comments here.

tha malcontent said...

sue hanes said...
This is a huge thing for me considering that you did not allow me to comment on yours.


Humm, I can't say that I recall that, unless I mistook you for that Other Sue. As I don't publish anything that she has to say.

sue hanes said...

Mal - I should have made myself clear.

It was not you personally that stopped me from commenting, but my comment just wouldn't go through.

Maybe I'll try again.

sue hanes said...

MC - I tried just now and my comment would not go through.

tha malcontent said...

Sue, thats really funny, I checked it out and it seems to be working ok.. all others are going through fine.

But I'll check into it further. Thanks for the explanation.

tha malcontent said...

Try is now, I took off the Moderation
Let's see if that was the issue.

sue hanes said...

malcontent - When I try to comment it goes to a page which tells me that I do not have access to your blog.

I tried a different email address and it still didn't work.

I can check with someone who is really into computers and see if he can help.

JoeBama "Truth 101" Kelly said...

Sorry Sue. Our pal Malcontent still has his site blocked.

I even left him a nice comment wishing him success.

They all fear the Truth.

sue hanes said...

Truth - I do hope you are sincere in saying that you left MC a 'nice' comment.

We do all need to learn to get along, you know - and that's the
Truth.

sue hanes said...

Mal - There is a message on my
John Adams post for you about commenting on your blog.