Wednesday, October 19, 2011

a farewell to the animals

~the deer - thank you for not running in front of my car and hurting us both

~the raccoons - the nights you stood on the patio out back and gazed at the house
    wearing your natural mask but also a silly seg - you never looked mad - just rabid

~the mole - the Friday night that you dropped out of the fireplace screen and I jumped
up on the couch like the coward I am but then I noticed that you must be blind - edging
your way along the wall at which time I opened the patio door and you went on into the
night

~the squirrels - who I learned to like and I'm sorry I didn't before because I always
     thought you were twitchy

~the chipmunks - you were always a welcome sight darting from one side of the patio
     to the other always in a hurry

~the mice - I never liked any of you and am happy that you have gone elsewhere now
      that we have houses around us and not a field where you came from

~the birds - I'm going to miss you most of all and I am sorry for all the times you flew
      mistakenly into the big picutre window some even fatally but I'm going to tell new
     lady about you and maybe she will continue to feed you - did you have a lookout  
     posted when we were on vacation and that is how you always were here right when
     got back - I've wondered about that

2 comments:

cube said...

I'm sure you will find new animals at your new home.

Today, my heart is heavy with the deaths of all those animals that were shot by police when their idiot keeper let them all loose then shot himself.

sue hanes said...

Cube - What happened today is a tragedy of monumental proportions.

It breaks my heart that a person like him was allowed to even have his hands on those beautiful animals.

And my heart goes out to the members of the law enforcement that were forced to destroy them.