Thursday, October 27, 2011

a poem by Paul Hamilton Hayne

a comment from Cube inspired me to post this:


Art thou in misery, brother?
Then I pray be comforted.

thy grief shall pass away.
~~~

Art thou elated?
Ah, be not too gay;
Temper thy joy:

this, too, shall pass away.
~~~

Art thou in danger?
Still let reason sway,
And cling to hope:

this, too, shall pass away.
~~~

Tempted art thou?
In all thine anguish lay
One truth to heart:

this, too, shall pass away.
~~~

Do rays of loftier glory round thee play?
Kinglike art thou?

this, too, shall pass away!
~~~

Whate'er thou art,
wher'er thy footsteps stray,


Heed these wise words:


This, too, shall pass away.
~~~

3 comments:

cube said...

I thought I heard my name...

beautiful poem.

sue hanes said...

cube - I'm glad you liked it.


I find it not only beautiful but comforting - and humbling.

sue hanes said...

and full of wisdom...