Sunday, October 30, 2011

laughing vs crying

Ever heard the expression 'a good cry?'

Well, I've never had one.

Crying makes me feel bad - no matter what I'm crying about.
~~~

What I'm talking about is uncontrollable hard crying.

Not the ending of ET crying.

I think ET has a well-orchestrated perfect ending and I've always cried when watching
the ending of ET. 

~I cry because I am happy that ET is going home. 

~I cry a little for Elliot because he will miss ET. 

~I cry a little for the rainbow.

... and I cry a little because something inside of me wishes
I could go where no man has gone before.
~~~

But there are three movies that have taken me by surprise and I have had at the end of
each of them what I would not call a good cry:

1.  Million Dollar Baby - I liked it but had no idea that Hillary Swank was going to bite her
tongue off.

2.  Man on Fire - Again - it was the element of surprise.  When I realized that Denzel
Washington was 'going away' with the bad guys I lost it.

3.  My Dog Skip - When the son said that his mother told him that they buried Skip
under the tree in the back yard but that wasn't true because 'he is buried in my heart'
I not only burst into tears in the theater but we sat in the car for 15 minutes while
I cried and then finally regained my composure enough to drive.
~~~

Lost

I watched the series finale alone and although I loved the ending when Vincent
 appeared and stood by Jack's body I was completely

lost.
~~~

I would much rather laugh.  I never had a sense of humor until I started becoming
despondent :-) and now  I not only laugh whenever I have the chance but I find
myself laughing uncontrollably while shopping alone - when I think of something
that sets me off. 

Now  if you are laughing - let's say in Walmart - and you are alone people tend to think you are
unbalanced. 

Funny thing is - when I get back in the car and think of the same thing it's not
funny anymore.
~~~

I'll take laughing over crying any day - a good laugh sure beats a good cry.

2 comments:

Speedy G said...

So do you enjoy comedies more than tragedies?

sue hanes said...

No. Actually I adore Sweeney Todd.

And furthermore - you take your Conservative troll comments and your whole Legion team - JC, AM,
and whoever else and bother someone else. Oh yeah, and Thersites. None of you are ever welcome here again.


I will write, read and comment on my blog myself.

'I am a rock, I am an island.
And an island feels no pain. etc.'