Friday, October 14, 2011

my love/hate relationship with spiders

Right off I want to say that some people think spiders are special
because they eat the other bugs or maybe it has something to with
Charlotte of Charlotte's Web fame.

Well, this is my blog and I don't like spiders.

I think they are scary-looking.

Furthermore for the last 20 years they have been coming into my
home uninvited - especially in the fall.

I kill any spider that I find in my home.  I especially refuse to sleep
in the same room with a spider - no matter how small it may be.

No matter how tired I am at night if I see a spider trying to discreetly
spin one of those white cocoons where the wall and the ceiling come
together, I am prepared to stay up as long as necessary until said
spider's small broken body is lying on the carpet in front of me.

Now it has been my experience that these small spiders are no dummies.
They will play dead until I start to walk away - then they scurry off.

I am on to that.

It is extremely hard to stomp a spider to death on the carpet - especially the small ones -
so if the spider should escape I do not sleep in that room until it shows itself
and I am able to have the final victory.

This is the 'hate' part of my love/hate relationship with spiders.

~~~

What I do 'love ' about the creepy little b**t**d* is that spiders have helped me
come to terms with one of my greatest fears.

I no longer fear spiders - well, to a certain degree - but rather I take any action
necessary to keep them out of my living space.

I do not kill outside spiders.  Fair is fair.

~~~

In closing I would like to share a poem with you that I wrote about spiders:

i do not like bugs for they creep and they crawl
as for spiders - i do not like them at all

when one comes to my house
i do not say come and sit


but rather i drop a big book right on it

(based on a true story)

~~~

no spiders were harmed in the writing of this post

No comments: