Saturday, February 4, 2012

from Moby Dick

by Herman Melville


Call me Ishmael.  Some years ago - never mind how long
precisely - having little or no money in my purse, and nothing
particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about
a little and see the watery part of the world.  It is a way I have of
driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.  Whenever
I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a
damp drizzley November in my soul; whenever I find myself
involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing
up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever
my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong
moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into
the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off - then, I
account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can.
to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and
methodically knocking people's hats off - then, I account it high
time to get to sea as soon as I can.

No comments: