Thursday, September 29, 2011

two poems by D.H. Lawrence

Good  Husbands  Make  Unhappy  Wives

Good husbands make unhappy wives
so do bad husbands, just as often;
but the unhappiness of a wife with a good husband
is much more devastating
than the unhappiness of a wife with a bad husband.

~~~

To  Women,  As  Far  As  I'm  Concerned

The feeling I don't have, I don't have.
The feelings I don't have, I won't say I have.
The feelings you say you have, you don't have.
The feelings you would like us both to have, we neither
     of us have.

The feelings people ought to have, they never have.
If people say they've got feelings, you may be pretty sure
    they haven't got them.

So if you want either of us to feel anything at all
you'd better abandon all idea of feelings altogether.

~~~

No comments: