Thursday, September 29, 2011

please check the post before this first

An Evening of Poetry - Thursday, September 29th, 2011


Three of my favorite poems by Emily Dickinson

~~~

A word is dead
When it is said,
~~Some say.
I say it just
Begins to live
~~That day.

~~~

For each ecstatic instant
We must an anguish pay
In keen and quivering ratio
To the ecstasy.

For each beloved hour
Sharp pittances of years,
Bitter contested farthings,
And coffers heaped with tears.
~

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all.

And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.

I've heard it in the chillest land,
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.
~~~

7 comments:

Joe Conservative said...

In response to the first poem, I'd offer...

Joe Conservative said...

As to the second, I might only offer a more tragic tale of metamorphosis (Philomela) or perhaps a slightly more sprightly post from a blog of mine from long ago, now the property of a friend.

sue hanes said...

JC - There She Goes.

Liked it, even googled the lyrics.

~~~

clicked on 'long ago' and got
Joey Conservative's blog.

You? Is the video what you are talking about? Is that you.

You are over my head.

The Absolute Marxist said...

Nope, not me... just a video. And the blog isn't me any more, it's now a friends.

sue hanes said...

Legion - This switching identities is starting to freak me out.

Still it is clever, intriguing and makes you a bit of a mystery.

I called my 'husband' in and showed him your picture (AM) and his first guess was Che.

I never thought Che -just Obama.

Speedy G said...

Sorry. You usually "get" whoever I'm currently logged in as. I used to be more consistent. I no longer care for "consistency". As Emerson once stated, "a foolish consistency if the hobgoblin of a small mind."

...at least, that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it... for now. ;)

sue hanes said...

Legion - Please do not stop commenting on my blog.

I don't care what your name is.