Tuesday, September 27, 2011

on not reading the newspaper

ducky - I am dedicating this post to you because:


you stand on the front line

you don't back down and only stop to reload

you don't run away like a frightened little girl like i do


but i intend to work on that


thanks, ducky

~~~

The Quotable Book Lover

~edited by Ben Jacobs & Helena Hjalmarsson

~~~

I bought this small but not really worth it book about seven years ago because
it fits in my purse and I would take it to a cafe called One World which I frequented
on Friday nights so I could listen to a jazz combo led by my piano teacher who
is an accomplished jazz pianist.  I would always order a decaf espresso and
pull out that book so that I wouldn't feel so self-conscious about being there
alone.

~~~

Still...the book yielded a couple of quotes worthy of mention:


'Just because the f***er's got a library card doesn't make him Yoda.'

                                                                      ~ Brad Pitt
                                                                       As Detective Mills
                                                                       in the movie Seven
                                                                       (1995)


and this one


'Always read stuff that will make you look good if you die in the middle of the night.'

                                                         ~Attributed to P.J. O'Rourke

~~~

But the quote that inspired this post was by:

 Thomas all men are created equal Jefferson.
 (1743-1826)


'The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but
newspapers.'

~~~

You see, I don't read newspapers  - not any, not ever.

For me, reading a newspaper is too confining.

One must sit there and hold up each side requiring the use of both hands - a primitive activity
really, like ironing.

I am a multi-tasker and reading a newspaper means that I can only do one thing at a time -
when I would rather be doing three.

The reason I don't read a newspaper has nothing to do with the fact that it seems boring and
stuffy.

It is just that I can't bear sitting there holding up something boring and stuffy that makes my
arms tired.

~~~

I do, however, need newspapers to spread on the patio when I spray paint.

~~~

10 comments:

JoeBama "Truth 101" Kelly said...

My daughter has a copy of Atlas Shrugged. I keep meaning to take a picture of myself reading it to mess with Les of Rational Nation. Our community Rand freak.


I think it's objective of me. And I appreciate dollars so in case les stops by I give him the sign of the dollar.

Don;t read the book. 1,500 pages isn't worth being in on the joke.

sue hanes said...

truth - I never try to read hard books anymore. There just isn't time.

May I recommend New Rules by Bill Maher? If you haven't already read it you are in for a real treat.
~~~

And truth, thanks for stopping by. I'll be looking for more of your astute comments. :) seg

JoeBama "Truth 101" Kelly said...

Your "general" comment gave me an idea. if only I can figure how how to do the paint shop thing again.

sue hanes said...

to tell you the truth, truth, I've found that anything you choose to do is enough to make us sit up and listen, laugh and think..

I hope we will be able to do more of that in the future.

-FJ the Dangerous and Extreme MAGA Jew said...

The duck should feel flattered... :)

-FJ the Dangerous and Extreme MAGA Jew said...

On newspapers (from Nietzsche's "On the the Future of Our Educational Institutions")

...In all matters of a general and serious nature, and above all, in regard to the highest philosophical problems, we have now already reached a point at which the scientific man, as such, is no longer allowed to speak. On the other hand, that adhesive and tenacious stratum which has now filled up the interstices between the sciences--Journalism--believes it has a mission to fulfil here, and this it does, according to its own particular lights--that is to say, as its name implies, after the fashion of a day-labourer.

"It is precisely in journalism that the two tendencies combine and become one. The expansion and the diminution of education here join hands. The newspaper actually steps into the place of culture, and he who, even as a scholar, wishes to voice any claim for education, must avail himself of this viscous stratum of communication which cements the seams between all forms of life, all classes, all arts, and all sciences, and which is as firm and reliable as news paper is, as a rule. In the newspaper the peculiar educational aims of the present culminate, just as the journalist, the servant of the moment, has stepped into the place of the genius, of the leader for all time, of the deliverer from the tyranny of the moment. Now, tell me, distinguished master, what hopes could I still have in a struggle against the general topsy-turvification of all genuine aims for education; with what courage can I, a single teacher, step forward, when I know that the moment any seeds of real culture are sown, they will be mercilessly crushed by the roller of this pseudo-culture? Imagine how useless the most energetic work on the part of the individual teacher must be, who would fain lead a pupil back into the distant and evasive Hellenic world and to the real home of culture, when in less than an hour, that same pupil will have recourse to a newspaper, the latest novel, or one of those learned books, the very style of which already bears the revolting impress of modern barbaric culture--"

Ticker said...

HOORAY, your new comment section works.

sue hanes said...

-FJ - Really, is there a point to your comment?


Thanks for taking time to comment on my blog. Please come back.

sue hanes said...

Ticker - So that's where you get the info that you post on your insufferably boring blog. :)


For a while I was worried that you might be the only one who couldn't comment!

But thanks to you it seems to be working.

-FJ the Dangerous and Extreme MAGA Jew said...

-FJ - Really, is there a point to your comment?

There's always a point to my comments, Sue. Sometimes the point is obvious, and other times, it is less so. Consider my previous comment one of the latter kind.