Friday, September 23, 2011

now you know

I'm bipolar.

Last April my doctor said, 'Sue, you're 66, so how would you like to see things as they really are instead of through the fog of medication?"

I said, 'Sure, why not.'

The experience of being off medication is like the line from Amazing Grace:

'I was blind but now I see."

And I'm doing just fine.

But sometimes I experience a little bit of what I call 'loss of control,' and thus the expletives on blogs, and other commments that might seem odd.

~~~

But when I start to doubt the wisdom of going without medication, I just remember this:

When I visit my daughter, she says, 'See ya later, Mom,' and leaves me in charge of her most treasured possessions - a four year old son, an overactive two year old daughter, and a five month old baby with health problems, including a feeding tube.

After that, my faith in myself is renewed.

~~~

So, if having me comment on your blog makes you uncomfortable, unhappy or whatever, then just delete those comments, for heaven's sake.  I've even heard that comments can be recognized and automatically deleted - and that's fine.

Frankly, I don't give a damn what you do.  But I'm not going away.

~~~

I like to compare being bipolar to being gay (not that there's anything wrong with it.)

You are born that way.  While growing up you know that you are different but can't always figure out why or how - then the real symptoms are exhibited and you have to deal with it.

There is no cure for either.   You are in it for the long haul.

Then you start to accept it and live with it.  Eventually you even learn to like yourself.

~~~~

So, you are either with me or against me.  Get over it and let's get on with figuring out why this country is going to hell in a handbasket and start doing something about it.

~~~

No comments: