Sunday, September 25, 2011

comments on faith journey post

Silverfiddle - I am very happy to have your comments - anytime.

I didn't mean to give the impression that I think I am at the end
of the road in my Faith Journey.  If it were over, I might be like Bruce Willis
in The Sixth Sense.

Funny that you should mention 'moving' in your comment, since as I write this
a prospective buyer should be calling today to say if she is going settle on our
house.  At which time I really will be moving.  :=)

~~~

Gorges Smythe - And I am the merest of mortals.

Thanks so much for reading my Faith Journey post and taking time to comment.
I hope you will return again...and again.

~~~

Gorges Smythe (on Cheney/grandchildern post ) - As kids we used to try to get my mother to let us do what our
friends were going to do, and sometimes her response would be:  If your friend
was going to jump off of a cliff would you want to do that?

As an adult I have decided that what others do is not necessarily what I will do - even
when it comes to payback.

~~~

Z - It is when I have the doubts in my Faith Journey that I grow - in my life and with God -
and really the two are inseperable.

I do not believe that Faith is something that we 'get' and that is it.  Our Faith is not only
strengthened by our positive experiences in our relationship with God, but when we doubt
what He is doing in our life, and in my case - as I like to put it - when I get mad at Him.  He
treats me as the 'child' that I am  - to Him - and patiently shows me the Way.  I have never
regretted getting mad at God or doubting Him, for it is through those 'emotions' that I grow.
And get stronger.  And realize how Loving and Understanding, and really Great He is  - but
I will doubt Him and get mad at Him again - and then Love Him more, and grow even
stronger.

~~~

Z - There was a program about 9/11 on PBS that I watched with my son-in-law - just before the 10th ann.  It focused on several pastors, priests and rabbis that had not especially lost their faith as a result of 9/11, but rather had experienced problems with doubt and hostility toward God - that he had betrayed them, and let them down.

We (son-in-law) discussed this and in the end both agreed that this was not entirely a bad thing - what they were feeling - but rather that they needed to work on discernment and finding their way back into His Grace.

The problem is, my son-in-law found out later that the program was really a rerun, and had been taped a couple of years after 9/11.  So that hopefully by the time we saw it they had worked out the problems.  If, in fact, the interviews had taken place just before the 10th ann. of 9/11, that would be a long time for them to question God - especially as members of the clergy.

So in my mind, the program really should not have aired at all.

Do you see what I mean?

No comments: