Friday, February 14, 2014

Sonnet 29

I'm going to celebrate Valentine's Day by posting my favorite Sonnet by William Shakespeare.~~~~~~~~When in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes~~~I all alone beweep my outcast state,~~~And trouble deaf heav'n with my bootless cries,~~~And look upon myself, and curse my fate,~~~Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,~~~Featured like him, like him with friends possessed,~~~Desiring this man's art and that man's scope,~~~With what I most enjoy contented least;~~~Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising,~~~Haply I think on thee,and then my state,~~~Like to the lark at break of day arising,~~~From sullen earth sings hymns at heaven's gate;~~~For thy sweet love remembered such wealth brings~~~That then I scorn to change my state with kings.

9 comments:

cube said...

This is one of Shakespeare's dourest sonnets. It does cheer up at the end.

sue hanes said...

Cube - I read through most of the sonnets and found this one to be better than all the rest - of the ones that I read.

sue hanes said...

I mostly liked to see how he rhymed them. That is a great talent in itself.

cube said...

One of my messages here got lost. I don't know what happened.

sue hanes said...

Cube - I wondered what happened to you. I don't know anything about your lost message. Try again.

cube said...

I thought this Sonnet was one of the most bleak of all of his Sonnets. Yeah, we've all had our ups ands downs... That's just part of life. I'm glad he cheered up at the end.

sue hanes said...

Cube - I think that sonnet is one of the most poetic sonnets. Some of them just don't make sense.
I think it is a romantic one.
But I guess it is up to the reader to decide.

cube said...

It is very poetic and very romantic, but it's evocative of hard times in his life, perhaps. I don't think anyone knows, but it just seems like he was at a low point when her wrote #29.

sue hanes said...

Cube - I think it is a very romantic sonnet. If you read the other ones you will see that they are not as good. I still think it is one of the best ones.


I read most of them and they are not as good. Maybe I missed the other good ones.