Friday, November 30, 2012

No Room In The Inn

'Oh, if only I had known!' Said the keeper of the inn.~~~ 'But no hint to me was shown,~~~And I didn't let them in.~~~Yes, a star gleamed overhead, but I couldn't read the skies,~~~And I'd given every bed To the very rich and wise.~~~Ahd she was so poorly clad, And he hadn't much to say!~~~But no room for them I had~~~ So I ordered them away.~~~She seemed tired, and it was late~~~ And they begged so hard, that I,~~~feeling sorry for her state~~ In the stable let them lie.~~~Had I turned some rich man out~~~ Just to make a place for them,~~~Twould have killed, beyone a doubt~~~ All my trade at Bethlehem.~~~Then there came the wise men three~~~ To the stable, with the morn,~~~Who announced they'd come to see~~~ The great King who had been born.~~~And they brought Him gifts of myrrh~~~ Costly frankincense and gold,~~~And a great light shone on her~~~ In the stable, bleak and cold.~~~All my patrons are dead~~~ And forgotten-but today~~~All the world to peace is led~~~ By the ones I sent away.~~~It was my unlucky fate~~~ To be born that inn to own~~~against Christ I shut my gate~~~ Oh, if only I had known!'

No comments: