Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The Swing

Robert Louis Stevenson must have had grandchildren and that's what inspired him to write this poem. I discovered that my grandchildren - once they got on the swing - never wanted to get off.~~~~~~~~ How do you like to go up in a swing,~Up in the air so blue?~"Oh,I do think it the pleasantest thing~Ever a child could do!"~~~~~"Up in the air and over that wall,~Till I can see so wide,,~ Rivers and trees and cattle and all~Over the countryside-~~~~~~"Till I look down on the garden green~ Down on the roof so brown-~Up in the air I go flying again,~Up in the air and down!"~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Then the sad part is that they learn to pump and don't need me to push them anymore. And what's more they learn to jump out - scaring me for fear they would get hurt. Anyway - I love this poem.

12 comments:

cube said...

I love this poem, too. Not because of grandchildren, because I don't have any yet, but because of my girls. It brings up times with them that are awfully sweet.

My oldest still loves to swing in the back yard with ear phone buds in her head.

sue hanes said...


Cube - My only commenter - kids don't do anything these days unless they have something electronic going.

I love this poem too. I can see why kids like to swing so much. I get nervous when they go too high and I'm afraid they will go over the top.

cube said...

This poem harkens to a much sweeter time.

Yesterday, we were eating at our local Village Inn and there were two girls sitting across from each other. Both were on their smart phones and ignoring each other's company. Why go to lunch together?

Our oldest daughter jumped out of a swing once and we had to go have her arm x-rayed. Luckily, it wasn't broken.

sue hanes said...


Cube - One night the husband and I were out to dinner and before the food came he was texting somoeone.
I jumped on him about it and he didn't like it but he never did it again. I thought that was so rude.

I'm glad your daughter's arm wasn't broken.

cube said...

I'm glad you chewed him out for that. It was rude.

BTW that same daughter broke her
clavicle last year... it's always something with these kids.

sue hanes said...


Cube - You did mention something about that - the broken clavicle.
Sorry to hear about that.

My younger daughter - with three small ones - always has something going on with their health. Her four year old daughter is always falling and she sometimes looks like an abused child - with scrapes and bruises on her face.

cube said...

I'm sorry to hear about your little granddaughter. Some little kids are more prone to accidents.

My daughter is 23... old enough to not fall and break her clavicle, but yet she did.

1.21roots said...

Cube - It can happen to anyone one at any age - I guess. I've never broken anything. Knock on wood.

sue hanes said...

My son-in-law must have been using this computer. I'll have him change it back.

sue hanes said...

I've got it now.

cube said...

Don't knock too hard ;-)

sue hanes said...


Cube - Ha ha. I get it. :]